Friday, December 11, 2009

Weddings and Wants


In a few hours, I will be changing into a suit and wearing this burgundy tie which I've been given to be one of the groomsmen in a friend's wedding.   This is not the first time I've found myself attending a friend's wedding.  I've been a best man, a witness, a reception host and a guest in other weddings before.  Unlike those other weddings, however, I'm going to have to risk this one while feeling sick.  Coughing and sneezing have become close friends of mine in the last few days, with even a near fever striking me down the other day.  My nose is sore from all the clearing of accumulating mucus.  My lips are dry from losing all that fluid.  I've gone through two boxes of tissues, and at least four rolls in the past few days, with the discharge ranging from clear to yellow to whitish with a bit of blood from my poor strained nostrils. 

I find myself thinking if I'd ever get a chance to marry the person I love.

Marriage is such a loaded word. 

For many, marriage only has meaning if one sees the religious implications it carries.  To married is to have a union before God and to commit a promise to love each other until death parts them.   Marriage is a ritual that requires the existence of the approval of the Church.

For others, marriage is merely the ritual of being able to declare and be acknowledged that you have sworn to another to be faithful and loyal.  The trappings of religion may be there, but the union is more a legal declaration of being together and an act that is recognized as serious and binding.  

Ultimately, it is a huge promise.  A huge declaration of trust and devotion.
And a matter of great importance to those who want to be joined through it.

It is sad to know the world still chooses to discriminate and feel there is reason to deny people such unions.  I can understand denying the union of people who are manipulated or forced to take part in such.  I can comprehend the reason unions merely for financial gain or citizenship are frowned upon and considered void.  But for the unions that are desired and born from mutual love and loyalty.... regardless of the pair's genders... why should anyone have the power to hold them apart?

Someday, I too would like to get married.
Maybe when that day comes, I can.

For now, however, I extend my most sincere congratulations to Rommel and Arlyn who plan to finally tie the knot after thirteen years.  May your love continue to grow even brighter in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails