Tuesday, August 09, 2005

With a Thousand Sweet Kisses... I'll Cover You
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It has been many many years since I first listened to the musical Rent. I recall my first encounters with it were back during my Power Poets days, while hitching a ride with a fellow Power Poet on our way to Music 21 for a videoke gimmick after the poetry reading. The track played in the car was "Seasons of Love" and I fell in love with the song immediately. I hungered to find more and eventually scrounged up enough money to buy my own copy of the album.

Not thinking I'd ever get a chance to watch the play, God knows how esctatic I got when I found out a local outfit was doing it. Missed the chance to watch the first run, but thanks to my Mom, I was able to watch the second run with my Sister and her friend, Sydney.

Of the many songs I really loved from the musical, surprisingly the one I really relate with the most is the one few really like. Maybe its cause most go for the friend-friend songs like "Seasons of Love" or "La Vie Boheme" while others love the hilarity of "Tango: Maureen" or "Over the Moon." Then you got those who like the personal quest for one's direction brought about my "One Song Glory" or the romantic undertones of "Would you Light my Candle." Me, I just realised the song "I'll Cover You" captured so much of my feelings about life and love. Deep down, I have long realised that a very large part of what constitutes for me as love is the willingness to wholly be part of someone else's life, smelly feet, snoring and all if need be. A willingness to be together and yet having the individuality each one personally owns. A completeness each one gives to one another.

But I guess it can really be hard to find something like that. A relationship built upon being sensitive to the other's own needs and personal habits without having to be too aggressively overwhelming. It sounds common and practical, but sadly, its rarer than most realise.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Now, the late Jonathan Larson's rock-musical is about to be given a film treatment with both Hollywood actors like Rosario Dawson (Kids, Sin City: Plays Mimi) and Taye Diggs (Ally McBeal, How Stella Got Her Groove Back: Plays Benny) as well as original performers of the Broadway hit Jesse Martin (Law & Order: Plays Tom Collins), Idina Menzel (Ask the Dust:Plays Maureen), Adam Pascal (Roger), Anthony Rapp (Mark), Wilson Heredia (Angel). With the film directed by Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone) and produced for Revolution studios the clips so far look promising!

Here's hoping it captures the play's soul and helps share the immense beauty that is Rent.
RENT Movie Website
RENT musical



Nikki Alfar
Tobie Abad
Gabby Lee
Andre Mischa Cleofe
Cathy delos Santos

1 comment:

  1. we are so gorgeous in that pic... lets hang out again... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails