Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The Village
Finally got to see the new film by M. Night Shyamalan.

As before, the common scenarios are given an unconvential twist by the filmmaker as the concept of a small rural Village and its strange relationship with "the things that must not be spoken" is brought to life in the film.

Though at first I felt the film was a bit hard to relate with, with me being unfamiliar with the "Quaker-family" type of setting the movie was based on, the wonderful touches on love, on friendship, on devotion and on innocence were carefully woven into the story to create a strange, partly mythical and partly real feeling that I enjoyed immersing myself into.

Many found the unexpected revelations in the end uncomfortable, perhaps even feeling as if the dialogue sounded too unreal (I found it annoying at first, then comfortable soon enough once I realised the setting was rooting for a late 1800s feel) and the final truth unveiled being too... normal. I liked it though. I liked how it managed to tell a story that does make sense and has a depth unexpected in the suspense thriller genre.

M. Night Shyamalan is definitely a filmmaker I would love to work with some day.

Ratings:
Sixth Sense - 8/10
Unbreakable - 9/10
Signs - 8/10
The Village - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails