Monday, July 02, 2012

Tori Amos reminds me of Sandman once again

When I first heard Tori Amos' first album, I was amused to hear a greeting for Neil Gaiman in it.

In her new album, she makes me remember Neil Gaiman again.  I'm starting to gain a better appreciation for Tori Amos' new album, Night of Hunters.  Especially now that I found online a list of what songs were used for each one.

I particularly found the song The Chase interesting because it reminds me of the battle Morpheus had against the demon to regain his items of power in Sandman issue #4.




"I am hope."

Here's the original piece that inspired the new Tori Amos song.  I do love also how Job's Coffin is an original inspired by a song she wrote based on a classical one.  Talk about inspiration drawing from inspiration!



And for those wondering about the rest, here's the full list.

Each song on Night of Hunters is based on a classical composition.
1. Shattering Sea
     Alkan, Prelude op. 31 no. 8, The Song of the Mad Woman on the Sea Shore
2. Snowblind
     Granados, Anoranza (from 6 Pieces on Spanish Folksongs)
3. Battle of Trees
     Satie, Gnossienne no. 1
4. Fearlessness
     Granados, Orientale (from 12 Spanish Dances)
5. Cactus Practice
     Chopin, Nocturne op. 9 no. 1
6. Star Whisperer
     Schubert, Andantino (from Sonata in A major D 959)
7. Job's Coffin
     inspired by Nautical Twilight8. Nautical Twilight
     Mendelssohn, Venetian Boat Song (from Songs without Words op. 30)
9. Your Ghost
     Schumann, Theme and Variations in E flat major WoO 24, "Ghost Variations"
10. Edge of the Moon
     Bach, Siciliano (from Flute Sonata BWV 1031)
11. The Chase
     Mussorgsky, The Old Castle (from Pictures at an Exhibition)
12. Night of Hunters
     Scarlatti, Sonata in F minor K. 466 Salve Regina (Gregorian Chant)
13. Seven Sisters
     Bach, Prelude in C minor
14. Carry
     Debussy, The Girl with the Flaxen Hair (from Preludes I)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails