Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Which director has inspired you the most?

I guess this is best answered by sharing my favorite movies.

Moulin Rouge combines hyper energy with a dramatic narrative into a potent mix. Baz Luhrmann gets into the list thanks to this movie.

Animated films such as Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away place Hayao Miyazaki on my list as another spectacular director. His approach to characters and emotional truth is just phenomenal. I cannot help but wish I could approach stories the way he does.

Then of course there is Alien. Ridley Scott freaks me out so well that I've always hoped he'd create his next big time sci fi horror flick.

Aliens then lands on the list too, with James Cameron creating a beautiful mesh of military roughness and feminine vulnerability. A pity from being a visionary, he has now become an idea stealing hack.

Then there's American Beauty. Sam Mendes simply crafts a spectacular narrative spectacle without having to step outside from a normal down-to-earth setting.

Then there's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Ang Lee reminds the rest of the world that Asia has its own share of culture to be experienced.

And finally, M. Night Shyamalan and his movies Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. While his other films aren't as well approached, Sixth Sense and Unbreakable for me approached narratives without losing sight of keeping the movie mysterious and yet entertaining.

While I still have a lot of other films I love, I think this huge list is more than enough to answer the question.

Ask me anything

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails